When Winter is Here

What is the theme of this blog? Besides consistantly bad spelling and grammar, I don't think there really is one.

Monday, April 10, 2006

On Being Happy

Today I went to a memorial service for a women who I had never met. I was touched by the impact that this women had on the people whom she worked with. She seemed to have a great attitude that she passed on to everyone she met. I felt that she set an example by the way she lived her life. I was inspired to think about my life by the stories that her friends told.
Thinking also about the letters my father wrote, I think that we have to live our lives very carefully. I know that we will be perpetually wondering what this is all about, what we are supposed to do, what is right and what is wrong and we will probably not get the answers. We can still try our best.
I am trying to catch myself more when I am not enjoying my day to the fullest. I try to think about how each day I am leaving something behind and I want that something to be good, to help make other people be more happy as well. I don't think that this means doing big things all the time. Just doing what is right for you and not regreting and being happy.

I had a friend in Phoenix who was an artist. She told me that when she first started to make art she felt bad that she did not have a big social message, but as she got older (she was 51) she began to realize that her art was really about her own happiness. That was also her message to her audience. She was an example of how to live your life more carefully, how to be happy.


One of my friend's (Kathy Taylor) paintings.

Anyways, though I am writing about this, as with all young people, the message takes a while to sink in. I am not living my life the way I would like all the time. Sometimes I forget and wallow in my own self pitty.

I am not like this women who was remembered today or my friend Kathy...but I am trying. And hey I guess acceptance is the first step.

1 Comments:

  • At 2:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    PS. Kathy's painting is beautiful.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home